Full Time / Permanent
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Altalink is Alberta's largest transmission company, supplying safe and reliable electricity to more than 85% of Alberta's population.
Altalink is taking on new challenges in the middle of Canada's fastest growing economy. We are doing everything in our power to attract and keep the best and brightest to expand our team of top notch professionals. We are proud of our collaborative culture, expertise and record of safety and operational excellence. We were named as one of Canada's 10 most admired corporate cultures of 2014 and we pride ourselve on being a best in class Canadian organization.
We offer work with meaning, incredible opportunities for development, work life balance and opportunities to contribute to your community. Join our team!
An opportunity currently exists for Protection and Control (P&C) Engineerin in the Operational Engineering team within the Asset Management department at Altalink. Reporting to the Manager, operational engineering, the successful candidate will be part of a multi-disciplinary engineering team responsible for the direction, analysis, recovrds and resolution of operational issues on Altalink's transmission facilities in Alberta, which range from 69kV to 500kV.
This position will appeal to individual with a utility Protection and Control background who are looking for an opportunity to develop their engineering and leadership talents in a dynamic utility environment.
- Perform root cause failure analysis (RCFA) investigation, analysis and reporting on transmission line equipment failures,
- Develop and update P&C and remedial action scheme (RAS) settings and designs. Review and approve the setting and design of jumior staff.
- Provide real time engineering support to Altalink P&C field technicians
- Review and approve field mark-up drawings;
- Address P&C performance issues identified by internal teams through protection coordination studies, disturbance analysis and real time operations,
- Respond to questions from internal and external parties related to P&C settings, designs, fault levels and fault clearing times;
- Assess the protection performance of outages planned on Altalink's facilties. Propose temporary protection settings changes as necessary;
- Ensure compliance to a number of Alberta Reliability standards, including PRC-001, PRC-018, PRC-023 and MOD-010&012,
- Work with distribution facility owner (DFO's) to coordinate transformer and feeder protection;
- Work with other transmission facility owners (TFO's) to coordinate transmission protection settings as per PRC-001 Protection system coordination,
- Review protection loadability against facility ratings and ensure compliance to PRC-023 transmission reliability loadability;
- Ensure the completeness of P&C project return data and the accuracy and completeness of Latalink's P&C setting database powerbase,
- Support Altalink's safety culture and Near Miss/Hazard Reporting program.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering,
- Must be registered or eligible to register as a Professional Engineering with APEGA,
- Minimum of 4 years of experience with P&C and the ability to design, review and approve P&C settings;
- Excellent knowledge of modern digital protective relays in utility applications and experience calculating relay settings;
- Technical knowledge and understanding of electric transmission system operation, maintenance, performance, power equipment and substation design;
- Knowledge of applicable standards such as CSA, ANSI, IEC and IEEE standards;
- Working knowledge of MatchCAD, Cape and or Aspen Oneliner;
- Demonstrated strong analytical risk assessment and problem soling skills;
- Familiarity with local area networks, communication schemes, platforms and protocols used to provide local and remote interrogation with substation relays, meters, fault recorders and other intelligent electronic devices (IEDs) would be an asset;
- Strong interporsonal, verbal and written (reporting, graphical) communication skills with ability to work in a team environment, positively influence others, and develop strong internal and external relationships;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage a wide variety of issues simultaneausly.