Full Time / Permanent
Calgary, Alberta Canada
AltaLink is Alberta's largest transmission company, supplying safe and reliable electricity to more than 85% of Alberta's population.
Altalink is taking on new challenges in the middle of Canada's fastest growing economy. We are doing everthing in our power to attract and keep the best and brightest to expand our team of top-notch professionals. We are proud of our collaborative culture, expertise and record of safety and operational excellence.
We offer work with meaning, incredible opportunities for development, work life balance and opportunities to contribute to your community. Join our growing team!
This position is responsible for the 7 X 24 support of AltaLink's Control Center (ACC) through the construction, operation, maintenance and security of AltaLink's Energy Management System (EMS) / Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and other subsystems required to operation and maintain AltaLink's Transmission System Assets. The successful candidate will enjoy a work environment which is fast paced, high-pressure, yet structured, which ensures the mission critical EMS system is highly available at all times.
- Working closely with internal and external parties to collect data from the support and management of the EMS portfolio to reflext field changes according to AltaLink's standard.
- Provide support to maintain other specialized application such as Dispatcher Training Simulator (DTS) and Automatic Generation Control (AGC).
- Maintain and update Inter Control Center Protocol (ICCP) link between AltaLink and AESO.
- Maintaining and building operator displays using specialized applications (WFG Building and Eterra Vision) to support operators in visualizaing the power grid.
- Regularly scheduled Standby duties to support the EMS 7/24.
- Coordinate with control center to ensure that the service meets their needs.
- Trouble shoots EMS/SCADA problems with Field Technicians/Engineers and system vendors.
- Construct, integrate, test and document new hardware, software and upgrades.
- Monitor EMS/SCADA system performance and applications to optimize performance and identify opportunities for improvements.
- Implementing change in the EMS/SCADA and other systems. This includes support for users at AltaLink and externally.
- Configure and manage SCADA Alarm to meet real time operation and other business requirement within formal time schedule.
- A degree or diploma in Information or Telecomm or Electronics or Electrical (IT or Telecom) technology. Minimum of 3 years experience if Diploma.
- Good communication skills are required as this position is often in contract with staff and field operations, ACC operators and other outside contractors.
- Creative problem solving coupled with a proven ability to work in a fast paced high-pressure environment, dealing with multiple priorities.
- Previous experience supporting high availability mission critical systems.
- A demonstrated ability to build rapport and maintain relationships.
- A dedicated team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- A proven ability to learn.
- A proven track record of good attendance and performance.
- The position requires a significant amount of on the job training on specialized Power System Application as well as IT and telecommunication system databases and equipment.